Winning 100 games realistic for loaded Red Sox
BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Red Sox came close to winning 100 games in six of the last eight seasons. Could this be the year they do it?
Their lineup is loaded. Their rotation is strong. Their bullpen is improved. Their health is much better.
And the addition of two of baseball's most productive players, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez, makes them widely favored to reach the World Series for the third time in eight years.
Pitcher Josh Beckett thinks the Red Sox have a chance to win 100. But in the past 24 years, only two of the 25 teams that reached that high level won the championship. And the Red Sox have won 100 games only three times since they began playing in 1901.
Boston goes after its first win in Friday's season opener at the Texas Rangers.
- Padres ace Mat Latos to go on 15-day disabled list
- Dodgers start season with new manager in Mattingly
- Wilson unlikely to be with Giants on opening day
- Rays still feel like team to beat in AL East
- Former girlfriend Bell tells of Bonds' steroid use
- Blue Jays counting on another big year by Bautista
- Spring Training Capsules
- Winning 100 games realistic for loaded Red Sox
- McNamee says players know what they put in bodies
- Dodgers start season with new manager
- Pads get INF Gonzalez from Nats for Davis
- Yankees head into season underdogs in AL East
- Rays-Yankees game canceled by rain
- Feliciano expects to be out 2 weeks
- RH Galarraga chosen to fill out Arizona rotation
- New manager, same expectations for Braves
- AL champion Rangers facing hurdles in repeat bid
- Money matters: Reyes, Mets set for rocky season?
- Cardinals look for bounceback year
- Cubs count on Quade, 2 former Rays
- Giants gear up hoping to make another playoff run
- Twins trade pitching prospect to Braves
- Nationals-Braves canceled because of rain
- PITCHING COMPARISON
- Mets' Beltran set to play first game since March 6
- Ex-mistress: Bonds blamed steroids for injury
- Bonds' ex-mistress testifies at perjury trial
- Royals acquire Treanor from Rangers
- This Date In Baseball
- Baseball Calendar