Padres ace Mat Latos to go on 15-day disabled list
PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) - San Diego Padres general manager Jed Hoyer says ace Mat Latos will begin the season on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right shoulder.
Hoyer said Monday that the move would be backdated to March 22, meaning Latos would be eligible to come off the DL on April 6. The Padres are scheduled to host the defending World Series champion San Francisco Giants that day.
Manager Bud Black said Latos “has turned the corner on this” and would play catch on Tuesday.
Latos, who was 14-10 with a 2.92 ERA last year, developed an inflamed bursa sac last week. Tim Stauffer is scheduled to start in Latos' place on opening day at St. Louis on Thursday.
- Padres ace Mat Latos to go on 15-day disabled list
- Dodgers start season with new manager in Mattingly
- Wilson unlikely to be with Giants on opening day
- Rays still feel like team to beat in AL East
- Former girlfriend Bell tells of Bonds' steroid use
- Blue Jays counting on another big year by Bautista
- Spring Training Capsules
- Winning 100 games realistic for loaded Red Sox
- McNamee says players know what they put in bodies
- Dodgers start season with new manager
- Pads get INF Gonzalez from Nats for Davis
- Yankees head into season underdogs in AL East
- Rays-Yankees game canceled by rain
- Feliciano expects to be out 2 weeks
- RH Galarraga chosen to fill out Arizona rotation
- New manager, same expectations for Braves
- AL champion Rangers facing hurdles in repeat bid
- Money matters: Reyes, Mets set for rocky season?
- Cardinals look for bounceback year
- Cubs count on Quade, 2 former Rays
- Giants gear up hoping to make another playoff run
- Twins trade pitching prospect to Braves
- Nationals-Braves canceled because of rain
- PITCHING COMPARISON
- Mets' Beltran set to play first game since March 6
- Ex-mistress: Bonds blamed steroids for injury
- Bonds' ex-mistress testifies at perjury trial
- Royals acquire Treanor from Rangers
- This Date In Baseball
- Baseball Calendar