Cubs count on Quade, 2 former Rays
CHICAGO (AP) - Mike Quade has passed all of his tests so far.
He won rave reviews for managing the Chicago Cubs to a winning mark over the final six weeks of last season as an interim skipper. In the offseason, he won the job on a full-time basis.
This spring, his managerial skills were put on quick call when pitcher Carlos Silva and third baseman Aramis Ramirez got into a dugout scuffle. He diffused the situation with a team meeting the next day, and Silva was released over the weekend.
Now comes the real challenge. Can he direct the Cubs back into contender status in the NL Central where they finished fifth a year ago?
Chicago has acquired former Tampa Bay Rays, including talented right-hander Matt Garza and free agent first baseman Carlos Pena. The Cubs open the season at home Friday against Pittsburgh.
- Padres ace Mat Latos to go on 15-day disabled list
- Dodgers start season with new manager in Mattingly
- Wilson unlikely to be with Giants on opening day
- Rays still feel like team to beat in AL East
- Former girlfriend Bell tells of Bonds' steroid use
- Blue Jays counting on another big year by Bautista
- Spring Training Capsules
- Winning 100 games realistic for loaded Red Sox
- McNamee says players know what they put in bodies
- Dodgers start season with new manager
- Pads get INF Gonzalez from Nats for Davis
- Yankees head into season underdogs in AL East
- Rays-Yankees game canceled by rain
- Feliciano expects to be out 2 weeks
- RH Galarraga chosen to fill out Arizona rotation
- New manager, same expectations for Braves
- AL champion Rangers facing hurdles in repeat bid
- Money matters: Reyes, Mets set for rocky season?
- Cardinals look for bounceback year
- Cubs count on Quade, 2 former Rays
- Giants gear up hoping to make another playoff run
- Twins trade pitching prospect to Braves
- Nationals-Braves canceled because of rain
- PITCHING COMPARISON
- Mets' Beltran set to play first game since March 6
- Ex-mistress: Bonds blamed steroids for injury
- Bonds' ex-mistress testifies at perjury trial
- Royals acquire Treanor from Rangers
- This Date In Baseball
- Baseball Calendar