McDermott's 21 leads Creighton 84-76 CBI win
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Doug McDermott scored 21 points and Creighton spoiled former coach Dana Altman's return to the Qwest Center with an 84-76 victory over his Oregon Ducks in Game 1 of the College Basketball Invitational championship series Monday night.
McDermott scored nine straight points in a 12-0 run that gave the Bluejays a 58-41 lead four minutes into the second half. The Ducks got no closer than four points the rest of the way.
Gregory Echenique added 15 points and Josh Jones and Jahenns Manigat 11 apiece for the Bluejays (23-14).
Joevan Catron led Oregon (19-18) with 15 points and nine rebounds. Garrett Sim and Jay-R Strowbridge had 14 points apiece and Johnathan Loyd and E.J. Singler 10 apiece for the Ducks.
Game 2 is Wednesday in Eugene, Ore.
- A Final Four of big bets, busted brackets
- McDermott's 21 leads Creighton 84-76 CBI win
- Drew enrolls at UCLA after leaving N. Carolina
- Kent State makes Senderoff interim coach
- Honeycutt to leave UCLA for NBA draft
- Calipari making Kentucky's investment pay off
- Fast and loose, VCU cruising to Final Four
- Calhoun: Legacy can wait until after Final Four
- NCAA Capsules-Final Four
- NCAA tournament's TV ratings highest since 2005
- Martin: NCAA punishment not worry for new coach
- George Mason paved the way for Butler, VCU
- Roll Tide, and VCU, too! 'Bama coach on wild ride
- Fredette leads AP All-America team
- Michigan guard Darius Morris is testing NBA waters
- Michigan State C Garrick Sherman is transferring
- 2010-11 AP All-America teams
- National Team Leaders
- National Ind Leaders
- Butler (17-10)
- Butler-VCU Matchup
- Connecticut (50-28)
- Connecticut-Kentucky Matchup
- Kentucky (107-46)
- Kentucky Statistics
- Virginia Commonwealth (10-9)
- Virginia Commonwealth Statistics
- Ga. Tech hiring Dayton's Gregory as new coach
- Another crushing NCAA exit for Kansas, Self
- Cinderella officially departs the NCAA tourney